Tomorrow we leave for Cape Cod. Every year this triggers panic because:
- I’m not a list maker. Between the boys, the dogs, the laundry, the frogs, the mail, etc….I need to be organized. Sadly I jot down a few words on paper, lose said paper, search for said paper before realizing I’m wasting time that I don’t have.
- I’m not a good packer. Ask my husband how much space I waste. Even if I try really hard – he still has to redo it. Every damn time 🙂
- I can’t leave anything behind when I travel. Ninety percent of the clothes we own wind up in the car. Even when I travel to my family’s cottage (which is equipped with everything) I still pack pillows, blankets, towels, sometimes even a television. Honestly, it’s ridiculous. My father used to ask me if I was planning on staying forever (and yes there was always panic in his voice).
- I load the car up with food even though there are grocery stores all over the Cape. (This stems from a fear that they might not stock my favorite brand of cookies or soda). It wouldn’t be so awful if I didn’t stuff things into a hundred different places. Sadly, I always end up bringing half of it back home because we constantly eat out on vacation.
- I always forget to put a stop to my mail delivery, which doesn’t earn me points with my postal carrier.
- I sneak every device I can into my computer bag (laptop, Kindle, iTouch, iPad, iPod). Silly? Sort of – because we’re always running around doing fun things, leaving little time for electronic devices.
Every summer I think I’ll get better. It never happens. Never…